|Your Home Town -|
In the year 1162
King Malcolm IV gifted, by Royal
Charter, to the Cistercian Abbey of Newbattle, all the land that was later to became
known as Munkland or Monklands.
The area was primarily forests,
meadows, and streams.
In the 16th century the
Monks leased the land to farmers in the
district. However after the reformation
the estate was sold to Sir Thomas
Hamilton of Binning by
the last abbot of Newbattle.
In time the estate was bought
family of Langloan.
He and his three brothers, George, Neil, and Archibald, were founders of the Buchanan Society in 1725, the oldest charitable institution in Glasgow except Hutchesons' Hospital. They belonged to the Leny branch of the Clan Buchanan, in whose ancient territory Ben Lomond towers in all its grandeur. Provost Andrew Buchanan built the oldest portion of Drumpellier House in 1736, but additions were made to it in 1840 and 1850. He died 20th December 1759. The provost left two sons, James of Drumpellier, and George of Mount Vernon. Drumpellier was sold in 1777 to their cousin, Andrew Stirling, of the famous Glasgow firm of William Stirling & Sons.
In 1777 the tobacco business failed at the American Revolution and Drumpellier was sold to their cousin, Andrew Stirling, of the famous Glasgow firm of William Stirling & Sons. Andrew Stirling, eldest son of William Stirling and Mary Buchanan, was born 1751, and died 1823. In 1792 he retired from William Stirling and Sons, and formed Stirling Hunter and Co., of London, the first commission house established there for the sale of Scotch goods.
It was bought back in 1808 by David,( to be later David Carrick Buchanan, Virginia merchant, born 1760, died 1827 -The second founder of the family : to him they owe it that they have to-day ),eldest son of George Buchanan, the younger son of the Provost. Andrew Stirling, however, retained the superiority and title of Drumpellier. Mr. David Buchanan took the additional surname of Carrick on succeeding to Mr. Robert Carrick, the banker.
The most recent proprietor was Colonel David Carrick Robert Carrick-Buchanan, great-great-grandson of Provost Andrew Buchanan, and the largest proprietor in the parish of Old Monkland.
Carrick Buchanan gifted the estate to the town of Coatbridge in 1919. It has since become an excellent Country Park complete with a golf course.
This is a plaque erected to the memory of David Carrick-Buchanan in the Old Monkland church